Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 - Nintendo Switch
- Join the world's greatest sports party! Celebrate the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 with your favorite characters, loads of events, and so many ways to enjoy the party on your Nintendo Switch!
- Have a blast competing with your friends in 30+ action-packed 3D and classic 2D sports games-including new events for Tokyo 2020!
- Compete in all-new Olympic sports-skateboarding, surfing, sport climbing, and karate-and a variety of events including archery, gymnastics, judo, boxing, marathon, football, equestrian, track and field, and many more
- Experience the Olympic Games in a brand-new way with 10 nostalgic 2D events that bring Mario, Sonic, & friends back to their classic roots
- Choose from an incredible cast of characters, including Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Tails, Yoshi, Amy Rose, Waluigi, Dr. Eggman, and many more!
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway.
Please enter a question.
Its party time, and everyones invited! Team up with Mario, Sonic, and friends on Nintendo Switch in action-packed sporting events! Bring your best moves to the track, the gym, the ring, or the water in dozens of different party games everyone will enjoy.
Get the party started on your Nintendo Switch with a variety of ways to play, including button play and motion controls in multiplayer game modes that support up to 4 locally and up to 8 online.
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020
Join Mario, Sonic and friends for their greatest adventure yet at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, exclusively on Nintendo Switch! Go for gold as you compete in action-packed sports games, including 4 brand new events to Tokyo 2020—Skateboarding, Karate, Surfing, and Sport Climbing, as well as a large selection of classic events.
- Join Mario, Sonic and friends for their greatest adventure yet at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, exclusively on Nintendo Switch!
- Go for gold as you compete in action-packed sports games, including 4 brand new events to Tokyo 2020-Skateboarding, Karate, Surfing, and Sport Climbing, as well as a large selection of classic events.
- Get the party started on your Nintendo Switch with a variety of ways to play, including button play and motion controls in multiplayer game modes that support up to 4 locally and up to 8 online.
- Play as Mario, Sonic, Yoshi, Amy Rose, Luigi, Dr. Egg man, and many more of your favorite characters.
No customer reviews
|5 star 100% (100%)||100%|
|4 star 0% (0%)||0%|
|3 star 0% (0%)||0%|
|2 star 0% (0%)||0%|
|1 star 0% (0%)||0%|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
In the main multiplayer mode there are 24 different games to play and 10 more games that are in the classic old school original Nintendo sprite style. You can choose from 21 characters and I am still holding out hope that one day Toad or Toadette become playable options. These games are great for families and group play. For me it’s the perfect group game and I kind of view it as a sports themed version of Mario Party. There are definitely a great variety of games and some games like football aka soccer (Nintendo please bring back Mario Strikers!!) are more involved increasing the play time. Standout games for everyone will vary depending on skill level and what they enjoy but Archery actually became a sleeper hit with everyone as they actually incorporate wind and distance into every shot. Football, Dream racing with its Mario Kart like feel and Karate have also been big hits so far. As is seemingly always the case with first party titles Nintendo gets so much out of the system because the graphics are bright and beautiful throughout. The game runs extremely smooth and so far I have not run into any issues. All of the games are very accessible for all ages so you may not find a challenge here but it is still a lot of fun. The main 24 events also have an online multiplayer mode but I have yet to spend time with it. I would say it’s 8/10 and a great party or family game. Definitely a good family gift for the holidays.
There are a good number of events and most of them are very fun though some are a bit too basic - I'm looking at you table tennis which is simplified to just pressing X at the right time and not having any control over your character's movement. On the other hand many are deeper than you would expect such as karate. Skateboarding, sport climbing, and gymnastics are some of my favorites. The issue is that there are not enough ways to play them. You have the story mode, which is a great addition and a okay length, but consists of mostly travelling around a map and talking to characters and occasionally playing a mini-game or event. I would have liked to see more games and events worked into the story mode to pad it out and break up the long blocks of dialogue. Then you can just pick an event or mini-game to play solo or in local multiplayer or you can pick and event to play in online multiplayer. That's it.
Graphics and sound are both the bright and colorful you would expect from the franchise. The game looks great and it's always amusing to run your favorite Mario and Sonic characters through various sporting events. Wario on a horse, anyone? I especially enjoy the addition of the 2D retro graphics style events as they are very reminiscent of sports mini-games from back in the day. There are also three dream events and I found the Dream Race that is kind of a mixture of Mario Kart and a level from Sonic Adventure 2 to be really fun.
What the game really needs is that addition of some kind of tournament or Olympics mode where you can run through several events in a row with a chosen country or team. Maybe a cups system like in Mario Kart with a collection of certain events to try and get an overall achievement or a series of 5 or more events where you are competing for the most medals? Currently you just pick an event, play it, pick another event, and so on. This serviceable but there's not much to it and no continuity or sense of achievement. All events are relatively short so you spend a lot of time loading back into and going through menus. I'm honestly surprised a general Olympics type mode wasn't included. Some more unlockable content (cosmetics, characters, anything) would also extend enjoyment of the game. I don't know how likely it is that additional content will be added later.
Overall I really like what the game has to offer, I just wish there was more of it for solo players beyond story mode as I don't know how much more I will get out of it once that's finished beyond loading it up as a party game, a bit like Mario Tennis Aces. If you are looking for a party or multiplayer game then I'd highly recommend this.
Reviewed in the United States on 10 January 2020