The Snail and the Whale is one of the best -- if not THE best -- children's books we've ever read. (And we've read many hundreds by now.) This one excels in every aspect:
1. What a jewel of a story -- about an unlikely friendship, globe-trotting adventure, creative problem-solving and resourcefulness, thinking beyond the confines of one's limitations (perceived or otherwise)...
2. The book is beautifully written. The rhymes and prose flow seamlessly. It's lovely to both read and listen to.
3. The artwork is excellent, too. The pictures are vivid, colorful, and engaging. We've read the book dozens of times by now, and we'll still often notice some new little detail.
This was our first Julia Donaldson book but remains my favorite. The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom have also been hits, and they're also very good. The story and prose quality of The Snail and the Whale are better, in my opinion. But we will try other books by this author. (Thank you for this amazing contribution to children's lit, Julia Donaldson!)
- Paperback: 32 pages
- Publisher: Puffin Books; Reprint edition (6 April 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0142405809
- ISBN-13: 978-0142405802
- Product Dimensions:: 25.2 x 0.3 x 27.7 cm
- Shipping Weight: 159 g
- Customer reviews: 1,014 customer ratings
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: 483 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)